The world seems to be going crazy over so called 'shattered glass nails' done by Korean UNISTELLA brand and to be honest I like them too! When I saw them I was little bit puzzled as to what kind of foil or plastic they are using and then I realized that I have something similar at home too - a wrapping cellophane! I'm not sure if it's the same thing but it does look very similar. So today I'll show you my recreation of this trend, I'm sure it will be one of many! I've also found this cellophane in Born Pretty Store (LUHH10 for 10% discount ;).
I have done my nails in Halloween colours of black and blood ;)
For this look I have also used Morgan Taylor polishes in Little Black Dress and Pretty Woman from The Rocky Horror Picture Show Collection for Hallowen 2015*. This collection celebrate the iconic film’s 40th anniversary and contains four mini bottles in total including white creme All White Now and Glow in the dark topcoat.
Both polishes are just ONE COAT(!) for this manicure but if course I will always recommend two coats for longer lasting nails. Their formula is absolutely great and pleasure to work with even though they are mini bottles. The collection is available at £14.99 from Sally stores or online at www.sallyexpress.com
How to achieve this look:
- Apply your favourite base coat
- Paint your nails with two coats of polish. In this case I alternated between Morgan Taylor Little Black Dress and Pretty Woman and on some nails I painted half of the nail with one colour, half the other colour.
- Apply something sticky on the nails - you can use nail foil glue, fresh coat of top coat or sticky base coat. I've used Glisten & Glow Stuck on Blu! sticky base coat.
- Cut your cellophane (or whatever material you're using) into pieces, sharp triangles look best.
- Gently stick them to the nail and press them down a bit. Cover part or whole nail with the cut pieces.
- Apply two coats of topcoat. Two coats are necessary if you want your manicure to last at least few days. The pieces have tendency to peel off easily with just one coat of top coat. It's even better with gel top coat but don't apply it on fresh nail polish or it will peel off!
And that's it really! My cellophane is very crinkled because it has been used for wrapping before but I'm sure you can buy new one that will be completely straight.
So what do you think? Does it look anything like the UNISTELLA trendy look to you? Let me know in the comments ;) Lucie x